Makai’s submarine cable group is looking for a Software Engineer who has a science, engineering, or math-related background. Candidates should have strong programming skills to perform in-house development as well as offshore operation of our PC-based subsea cable lay planning, simulation and control software. As part of the software development team the candidate is expected to write, upgrade, document and maintain our proprietary .NET and C++ code and help with customer support issues. When going on at-sea assignments, the candidate will be responsible for installation and operation of our MakaiLay software to manage the cable installations. Appropriate training in the office as well as at-sea training will be provided before the candidate is expected to go out on these assignments on their own. This is a permanent, full-time position in Waimanalo, Hawaii.
Important Assets for this position include:
- Applicants must have a technical background (e.g., at least an undergraduate degree and ideally work experience in Science/Engineering/Math)
- An ability to think clearly to solve technical problems;
- Strong written/oral communication skills;
- Willingness to adapt to a flexible work schedule;
- Willingness to travel;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Experience with the Windows and Linux programming environments with the aptitude and willingness to learn more;
- Possession of U.S. citizenship or a green card is required. U.S. citizens preferred.
- Experience in .NET and C++ programming is required;
- Experience with GIS applications is highly desirable;
- Experience working on a team project using svn or other code repository systems;
- Experience in reviewing and debugging other developers’ code;
- Good understanding and experience with any cloud services (AWS, Azure);
- Willingness to provide software training to Makai software clients which involves periodic domestic and international travel (usually 1-2 weeks long);
- Willingness to perform data-networking tasks and commissioning/installations of Makai software onboard ocean-going vessels (usually 1-2 weeks long);
- Willingness to perform at-sea assignments to operate MakaiLay software on cable installation vessels (usually 1- 4 weeks long).
- All of Makai’s work is in the ocean or is marine related. Therefore, ocean experience or background is always a plus.
Candidates with many of the above qualifications will be most highly considered.
High priority will be given to candidates who are local to Hawaii or have strong connections to the islands.
Makai provides engineers with interesting and challenging projects, a competitive salary, numerous company benefits, and a beautiful and unique work atmosphere. See photos and aerial videos of our beautiful Makapu'u offices here: https://www.makai.com/about/employment/
Makai participates in the Department of Homeland Security "E-Verify" Employment Eligibility Verification system for all new employees.
To apply for this position, please email the following two documents to Jose Andres at Jose.Andres@makai.com:
- Comprehensive Resume including your overall GPA in graduate and undergraduate studies, year(s) of graduation, current location, and U.S. citizenship / green card status.
- Cover Letter highlighting how your education, experience and training relevant to this position and why you want to work for Makai Ocean Engineering, Inc.